- Stay home
- Rest and keep warm
- Consume plenty of liquids
- Do not consume alcohol
- Wash hands regularly
- Cover nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Avoid physical contact with others
- Avoid mixing with other people, particularly those in a high-risk category, while contagious
- Stop smoking or cut your consumption down as much as you can
- Ensure someone checks on you and does your shopping
- Don't return to work early; you could still be contagious.
NB: Antiviral medications can limit the effect of influenza if they are taken within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms. Influenza antivirals are only available by prescription from a doctor. It is important to see your GP immediately if you believe you’re suffering influenza and wish to reduce the duration of your illness.